Search Knowledge Base by Keyword

Update- More places you should wear a face covering

You are here:
← All Topics

Wear your Face Covering


Which businesses will people need to wear a face-covering from 8th August 2020?


From the 8th of August 2020, the government has issued guidance that includes more businesses where a face covering must be worn.

These include

  • funeral directors
  • premises providing professional, legal or financial services
  • cinemas
  • theatres
  • bingo halls
  • concert halls
  • museums, galleries, aquariums, indoor zoos or visitor farms, or other indoor tourist venues, heritage or cultural sites.
  • nail, beauty, hair salons and barbers – other than where necessary to remove for treatments
  • massage centres
  • public areas in hotels and hostels
  • place of worship
  • libraries and public reading rooms
  • community centres
  • social clubs
  • tattoo and piercing parlours
  • indoor entertainment venues (amusement arcades, funfairs, adventure activities e.g. laser quest, go-karting, escape rooms, heritage sites etc)
    storage and distribution facilities
  • Veterinary services.
  • auction houses

Please note the above list contains the new businesses where face-covering have to be worn, and the entire list is in the link at the bottom of this page.


What if my business is not listed?

The guidance also states Face coverings should be worn in indoor places not listed in section two where possible, especially if it is a place where you may come in to contact with people you do not usually meet.

When do you not need to wear a face covering?

  • young children under the age of 11 (Public Health England do not recommend face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)
  • not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
  • if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
  • if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip-reading to communicate
  • to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others
  • to avoid injury, or to escape the risk of harm, and you do not have a face-covering with you
  • to eat or drink if reasonably necessary
  • in order to take medication
  • if a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering

There are also scenarios when you are permitted to remove a face covering when asked:

  • if asked to do so in a bank, building society, or post office for identification
  • if asked to do so by shop staff or relevant employees for identification, the purpose of assessing health recommendations, such as a pharmacist, or for age identification purposes including when buying age-restricted products such as alcohol
  • if speaking with people who rely on lip reading, facial expressions and clear sound. Some may ask you, either verbally or in writing, to remove a covering to help with communication.


What happens if I don’t wear a face covering?

The police are responsible for enforcing the requirements for wearing face coverings, you could face a fine if you are in any of the above-listed businesses.  There is also the risk that your staff or clients could whistleblow and complain to an enforcement authority such as the HSE.

Please check out the full guidance on the link below.



Was this article helpful?
0 out Of 5 Stars
5 Stars 0%
4 Stars 0%
3 Stars 0%
2 Stars 0%
1 Stars 0%
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.